KEY FEATURES of SIREN and Powermatch
- Models actual and potential generation and transmission assets on the SWIS;
- Makes use of hourly operational load and weather data across multiple years;
- Models generation and storage to match load for each hour of the year and quantifies cost and CO2 emissions;
- Takes into account need to meet the minimum power demand at all times of the day, regardless of wind and sun conditions (security);
- Uses the US National Renewable Energy Laboratory’s provided System Advisor Model (SAM) for power calculations;
- Uses weather data obtained from satellite atmospheric data sets (MERRA-2 from NASA or ERA5 from ECMWF);
- Allows users to create, cost and evaluate scenarios for supplying electricity using a mixture of renewable energy types and locations;
- Free open source resource available for download.
- Coming Soon Siren-web.
SEN Modelling Results
SEN’s modelling has been updated and presented on a number of occasions since 2016 and used in advocacy activities including briefings with government departments, politicians, media, environmental groups and the general public.